Design Phase: Interactivity

Thinking about creativity. Where can I draw inspiration? What have I learned as an ID with this module? For one, how can I introduce a topic in a way that feels fun and interactive, but still meaningful? Answer: Think about video games. 

"The focus of learning is on completing challenging tasks that are typically complex and change over time." (Dickey 2005) The focus of my module is developing mindfulness. Then, in the beginning of the course I just want to get the learner's feet wet with the course. Maybe test their comfortability with interactions, something simple like asking the user to insert her name on the introductory slide.

learner enters name, will display name again later




How the strategy behind video games compliments work for instructional designers (Dickey 2005). Video games are primarily for entertainment, but many of their functions can be useful in an educational arena as well. 

Dickey also mentions how emerging media keeps IDs on their toes, as it were. As technology develops, as do the ways to engage with participants using different sources of medium. This calls to mind how we're encouraged to work with a technical tool separate from Storyline, which exposes us to other technology that could enhance the design of our learning. 

For example, I don't consider myself a very creative person, but when it comes to this course, putting myself in the mind of the learner and how I would like to interact with the material if I were the learner helps. With this view, I'm reminded to think of how games do it and try mimicking that. The reason that video games work and keep their audience excited is because the games keep them engaged.


Game allows the learner to choose and get feedback


Learner will interact with quizzes based on each character



Scenarios will allow the user to personalize the material

Ideally, what I'd like to happen with this slide is to present real-life scenarios that the learner could see themselves in. Each of the characters symbolizes a different persona, making the possibility the learner feels the material is relatable much higher.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of feedback

Course wrap-up

Storytelling